In this section
- Reasons for rejection
- How can I avoid having rejected items?
- My items were New With Tags. Why were they rejected?
- What happens when my items are rejected?
- Your acceptance criteria says you don’t take X but I see X listed on your site, why?
Reasons for Rejection
Including but not limited to:
- Excessive Pilling
- Pet Hair
- Broken or Non-functional
- Missing Pieces or Components
- Visible signs of age
Any item with a strong odor that people may find offensive. This includes, but is not limited to, unpleasant smells such as:
- Cigarette, cigar, or campfire smoke
- Animal odor
- Body odor
- Excessive perfume or scented detergents/softeners
- Mold/mildew or improper storage
Any item or set that does not meet our minimum value of $3 after taking the item’s condition into account.
Unsupported items are things that we cannot take. If an item is not explicitly listed in our acceptance criteria it is most likely unsupported. Below are some categories or reasons we will reject an item as unsupported:
- Baby gear
- Sports equipment (athletic clothing being the exception)
- Medical devices or equipment
- Sample items
- Items obtained illegally
- Items with security tags attached
- Recalled items
- Counterfeit goods
- New or used lingerie, shapewear, or slips
- Personalized items
- Items with limited audience such as high school sports team gear or promotional gear from a local business or group
- Wedding, bridesmaid, prom, or other special occasion dresses that are typically altered
- Custom made clothing
- Women’s handbags or purses
- Wallets meant for adults.
- Fine jewelry, cufflinks, or watches
- Prescription glasses or sunglasses
- PC or Mac software or games
- Items made from breakable materials such as glass or porcelain
- Personal electronic devices
- Phone or tablet accessories
- Picture frames
- Expired items
- Perishable items
- Items that include prohibited content or content that is deemed unsuitable for a family friendly audience
- Fur items (ex: items made from fox, mink, raccoon or similar furs) or items made from exotic animal materials
- Items that have become obsolete or irrelevant due to age
- Items with a web or app feature that are no longer supported by the original manufacturer
- Vintage items with limited appeal
- Swimwear with built-in flotation aids
- Non-collapsible items that exceed our shipping dimensions
- Wet items
- Bath or Body Products
How can I avoid having rejected items?
- Read our Acceptance Criteria carefully!
- Check your items in both natural and household lighting
- Have an impartial friend give your items a second look
- Pack your items with care. The contents of your box may shift in transit which can lead to item damage. Be sure to check our Packing Guidelines for more details.
My items were New With Tags. Why were they rejected?
Our staff inspects all items, including “New” items, before they are listed to make sure they meet our standards. Below are some examples of why we might reject “New” items:
- Item has “rack wear” from being repeatedly handled in its previous retail or resale environment
- Item has a manufacturer’s defect
- Item was made by a non-professional or artisan crafter (eg: craft fair booths, made by family… )
- Shoes are different sizes
- Item is sun faded from being displayed or stored near a window or other bright light source
- White item has dirt or stains from falling off the hanger
- Shoes have scuffs or scratches from shipping without enough protective padding
- Item was purchased over 10 years ago and shows signs of deterioration
- Item was improperly tagged by the original retailer and has an oversized pin or tagging hole
- Item still has security tags attached
- Item is recalled
- Item has components, such as app connectivity, that are no longer supported by the original manufacturer
What happens when my items are rejected?
Ship home: Once a shipment has been processed rejected items are gathered together and placed in our return shipping queue to be sent back home. This process may take a few additional business days.
Recycling: Non-accepted items the seller has chosen to recycle are sent to our textile recycling partners to begin their transition to their next use.
Your acceptance criteria says you don’t take X but I see X listed on your site, why?
There are a few situations where items we typically do not accept might appear on the site.
- We accepted this type of item in the past and still have old inventory we’re trying to rehome.
Example: While Swap stopped accepting books in 2019, books listed prior to 2019 or books that were in our queue to be processed before the cutoff date remained on the site.
- Our team cannot handle the authentication of these types of items, but our listing partners may handle the authentication of their own items.
Example: While the Swap team cannot authenticate purses or handbags, you may see some on our site that have been authenticated by our listing partners.
Have questions about something? Contact our team.